Pemaquid Beach

I've managed to explore much of the coast of Maine, but somehow I'd never made it to Pemaquid before.  Julie, Ari, and I had a wonderful day at Pemaquid.  Before we left for the day, I decided to reorganize my paint box to strictly watercolor so that all the materials that I'd need would fit in my paintbox.  Brushes, paper, paint, water, palette,  tape, pencils, sketch pad, sponges, razor blades, pencils.   I wanted to reduce things so that I wouldn't need anything beyond the paint box.  Still a couple of things to iron out - but all in all I was pleased.  What I think I'll do next is get another paint box to prepare for acrylics and related materials.

After exploring and finding some sea glass.  I did this pen and ink first.  I finished the day doing a quick watercolor study of this same scene.  I'll use both of these to do a finished work eventually.


The next work was this watercolor.


Sometime I'm so caught up in the moment, trying to capture colors and the other elements of the subject that catch my attention, I forget to keep overall composition in mind.  All in all I was pleased with how the watercolor captured the mood of the day.  I continue to be amazed at how differnt the ocean looks both in terms of color and structure of waves and wind.  For the next trip I want to paint from the rocks at the light house.  The surf and mood was so different in the short distance from the beach to the lighthouse.



On a side note, my paint box was a gift from my father in law for Christmas of 1994.  It has literally been on all of our family adventure days and is nearly three years older than Ari.  I can look at the scars, scapes, and paint on the box and they bring me back to each adventure.  Another post for another day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C