Country Church - Work in Progress

Do you have a favorite painting or drawing?


Here is my latest work in progress.  It's a small country church based on the watercolor below, which was completed on location years ago in Bowdoinham, Maine.   It's at a stage where I'll set aside awhile to see if there is anything else I'd like to add when I look at it with "fresh eyes" so to speak.


I had the good fortune to strike up a friendship and correspondence with the illustrator Bob Harris for the last decade of his life.  He was so generous with his advice and so encouraging.  He'd often laugh and say how difficult it was and how important it was  to know when a painting was done - before it was finished!  It's so easy to overcomplicate subjects and to leave little to the imagination for the viewer.

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."   Edgar Degas

I really do like this watercolor sketch below, not because of how it turned out or any technical learning from the painting.  It does have a special place for me because it was the first painting I'd done on location once we'd moved up to Lisbon Falls.  I have so many impressions and memories of trips up and down this road with so many more subjects to paint.



My favorite painting or drawing?  The next one!!

Below are a few quick compositional sketches for the charcoal drawing above.  I did these sketches within 5 minutes and then moved onto the charcoal.



I'll likely do some paintings based on the finished sketch as well.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C