Sunset, St. George River

Sunset, St. George River
Watercolor on Paper
9" x 12"

This was the scene (varied slightly) at the rear (or front depending on your perspectice) of the Olsen cemetery looking out at the St. George river.  Sometimes I need to be clubbed over the head before I decide on a final composition.

This pen and ink composition sketch (4" x 5") had the island as was, smack in the middle of the view - preventing the eye from going into the picture.    Then I did a quick watercolor sketch (not pictured) from memory and this small sketch - moving the island to the viewers right.  Two things stood out to me - one the move to the right helped but not how I'd intended.  I really wanted to emphasize the light in the whole in the tree and this composition failed to do that.   I then noticed that I'd put the island smack dab in the middle of the watercolor (if not the view between the trees).  

Still that "failed" watercolor brought me back to the moment that had impressed me weeks before.  I altered the orientation of the paper and produced this watercolor this morning.

Sunset St. George River  WC  9" x 12"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C