Approaching Storm




Approaching Storm
Acrylic on Canvas Board
18" x 24"

When painting a subject that is imaginary, or half memory and half imagination versus an on location painting, different challenges arise.  However, I find that each choice in painting informs the other.  Thinking quickly about the genesis of this painting - four things come to mind.  

A sketching trip to Cushing Maine, Painting trips to Evans Notch, Dunes on Cape Cod and the fields and forest that I used to play in growing up in Westbrook.  This composition is an amalgam of those experiences and more.

I've submitted this painting for consideration in an upcoming juried exhibition. This painting is one of the first that I've specifically designed for a show.  Generally I've simply matched paintings completed with the themes of juried shows.  I can't really say that I have a preference beyond painting effects and subjects that are of interest to me.

Another different thing that I've done with these past few paintings is prepping the canvas with yellow ochre and raw sienna.  that's part of the effect that you see of the reflections in the water - it is the under-painting being revealed by thinning the surface of paint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C