Riverbed Reflection

Riverbed Reflection
Acrylic 12" x 16"


This painting is a challenge that had been bouncing around in my head for more than 25 years.  Water is always a challenge to capture, even when it is still.  The slightest wind, the time of year, the color of the material of the river bed.  Nearly endless combinations are possible.

Julie and I were exploring the area around tumbledown mountain and there was a beautiful scene of a riverbed surrounded by fall foliage.  The riverbed was all but empty this late into the fall.  I came across these scene with a reflection of the sky and trees on three sides.   

I've a number of  ideas and sketches for a series of reflection paintings.  This subject was about as abstract as I tend to get with my paintings - I did really enjoy the challenge of working with only three colors plus white.  

Alternate versions of this painting could include different patters of reflections, additional puddles  as well as including fallen leaves for more color.

I actually started this painting in part because I am a yankee and hate to waste any paint.  I was taking a break from two other paintings and I had a mishmash of paint left on my palette.  I decided to use the paints to prime a new canvas board and as this idea had been bouncing around for while  so I just decided to  keep going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C