Lessons Learned - Is your painting complete or it it finished?

Ammonnoosuc River - Watercolor on Paper

I did some detail work on my large watercolor of the Ammonnoosuc River in Northwestern New Hampshire.  On the lower left, was the early pass at the subject.  I will, from time to time, revisit a subject.  As I had left the picture, it struck me as close to what I was trying to achieve, but overall too dark.  It was accurate feel for the day and time, but the river didn't match the sky.  I decided to just leave things as they were for the time being to get some distance.  Often in Nature - there are times and locations that are quite interesting and moving, but they don't necessarily translate into a strong composition or painting without some artistic license.

There were parts of the picture that seemed flat to me, not enough of a difference in value.  I wanted to increase the interest throughout the picture while not confusing the eye with too much detail.  I remember vividly my first art show many years ago.  I was not really ready to show - but I went for it anyway.  

I walked the grounds and viewed the works of other artists and I found myself to be exhausted by the end as I was focusing on every detail I could.  I didn't really understand the lessons I was learning at the time.  The eye is naturally drawn to detail.  How to balance detail with leaving much up to the viewers imagination?

Years later I went to an exhibition of NC Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Andrew Wyeth at the Farnsworth in Rockland, Maine.  It was a breathtaking exhibition and really a master class on both composition and using, or avoiding, detail to draw the viewers eye to the intended center of interest.  What I noticed immediately was that these paintings were at once very dramatic and moving, yet very "relaxing" to view.  I wasn't searching the center of interest - it was clear in each and every painting.  It wasn't really until the second or third pass through the exhibition that I began to notice the areas of a painting that were merely indicated with a minimum of brushstrokes and subdued values.

    
I brightened the sky to bring it into line with the river in the mid ground and darkened the water in the shadows in the foreground. and I also did some more variances in value throughout all the areas of the picture to add depth and interest.

            
       Detail Left                                       Detail Center                                      Detail Right

I also added some shadows to the rocks in the foreground and added more variance in the values on the small island.  It is a challenge to know when enough is enough with any subject.  Sometimes one brushstroke can be just what a painting needs to bring it to life, or it can ruin a subject.  As Bob Harris (Robert George Harris (1911-2007) Artist and Illustrator) advised me: 

"It's important to know when a painting is done before it is finished!"

None of this is meant in any way to detract from interest or pursuit of highly detailed paintings or Trompe l'oeil paintings.  Those types of paintings are simply not an area of interest for me - at this time.  I do believe that every type of painting, every attempt, informs my work on my next painting.  If you can express what you want to - what moves you, I don't believe that there is a "wrong" way to approach that painting.  
                            






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C