Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth


Comprehensive Charcoal Drawing
Between the Rocks and Sea
Two Lights Cape Elizabeth
12" x 18"

Although I don't have  any single process for creating a painting, this subject has progressed in a fairly typical way of late.  Spending time on location is always motivating.  I make a number of quick notes and sketches on note cards in addition to simply spending some time walking a location and observing.  I've begun using note cards for these sketches as they fit into a travel kit very easily.

Pencil notes from direct observation 4" x 5"

I then review a number of sketches and decide which subject to elaborate.  See below.

Pencil Comp Sketch
8" x 11"

Years ago I had a happy accident when looking through some old sketches - they were on top of one another and at times created new and interesting compositions.  So I now will intentionally crop drawings to examine other possibilities.  When I'm on location, its still easy for me to get caught up in the scene and not seeing things from a perspective of composition.



When examining the two halves of the picture - I immediately settled on the right side of the composition as much stronger the whole composition as originally sketched.  The left side of the composition seemed much too static when viewed in this manner.

I plan to execute a number of paintings from this drawing including watercolor, acrylic, and oil.  I enjoy exploring different media as the unique qualities of each capture different elements of nature. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C