watercolor sketching

I recently started experimenting with compositional sketches in watercolor.  Watercolor allows me to quickly block in a scene, experiment with color and different ideas for the subject.

The corner farm at dusk was just a quick impression I caught a glimpse of while driving home from work.   These sketches were only done in watercolor.



The second sketch of the corner farm is what it might look like as a winter scene with cornstalks as were actually there.  I changed the sky and moved the trees behind the house and moved the house further back in the composition.  I also extended the heighth of the silo.


From these quick small sketches I will continue to refine the paintings with more detailed studies (such as the corn stalks) before launching in to a finished painting.

All of these materials, a portable watercolor palette, a small water container and the watercolor paper scraps fit into a small sketch bag.  It's a quick ready to go at a moments notice.  I've put a couple of small watercolor brushes in a baggy along with pencil and charcoal should I desire to sketch in different media as well. 

Keeping these sketches "sketchy" will allow me to retain the enthusiasm necessary to continue to create and add throughout the process to the finished painting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C