Ammonoosuc River #2


Ammononusuc River #2
Watercolor on Paper 
15" x 22"

This is a painting of the Ammonoosuc River in New Hampshire that I completed yesterday (in my basement - totally observing social distancing).  I will do some more studies from this to capture the water in different moods / speeds et cetera.  It's amazing how much the same "scene" can vary based on water and light reflection.

Below are studies used to work out aspects of this "final" painting and the final painting itself to give you some sense of scale.  Missing are a large (rough) pencil sketch with notes that I completed on location as well as a few pen and ink composition studies.

The top left and right watercolors were completed on location during the same trip as the pencil sketch.  The upper middle watercolor was done at home a few days ago (nearly a year later than the on location studies).    (see link below)
 Permalink
https://robertkahlerlandscapepaintings.blogspot.com/2019/05/mt-washington-and-amonoosuc-river.html



Now if, like me, you had been told that in order to execute a painting you would need to do upwards of six preparatory works (in this case a pencil sketch, 3 pen and ink composition studies, two on location watercolor paintings, and another color study) my enthusiasm for painting would have taken a nose dive.  I would have just wanted to get started.  I still prefer on location paintings started and completed in one go.

However, over time, I've worked out a method that works for me.  On location studies are what ignites my enthusiasm for painting.  The time spent on location, usually within nature, is time I cherish and that I find to be renewing.  I've written before about how amazing it is to me, that an on location painting can literally bring me back to that day even more than 20 years later.  Those paintings serve as a touchstone for memory and inspiration.

Generally I'll complete two or three on location studies per trip, generally the most detailed first, with each following painting becoming looser in its execution.  This lessening of detail occurs most likely for two reasons.  One - there is always a time pressure as light and attention both fade over time.  Two, simplifying a composition in nature is almost always necessary in order to emphasize the center of interest in the subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C