Process versus Spontaneity

 

Acrylic 12" x 16"

This is an update on the progress of Beaver Pond - Crawford.   This represents about 45 minutes of work with Acrylic directly on canvas to block in the composition and then about 10 minutes on another day to begin to zero in on correcting colors.  (2nd pass)

My favorite type of painting remains on location painting, starting and finishing in one session - generally about two to two and a half hours.  However,  when I don't have the time to paint on location I'll use on location sketches and trips as inspiration.  I've documented this elsewhere if you are interested.

In general my method in these types of cases for acrylics is

Compositional Sketches (very loose - mostly line drawings)
Larger Charcoal Sketch to work on values

Then onto working with Paint:

1st Pass  Covering the Canvas in Paint
                    Blocking in the composition rapidly
                    While attempting to get colors and values correct at this stage - but 
                     not worrying if the colors are off 

2nd Pass  Fine tuning painting for both color and composition

Set aside for a few days (or months or years in some cases)

3rd Pass (if painting is not completed) further refinement


I resisted developing a system or process for years.  I just wanted to get out and paint.  While that helped me develop as an artist in many ways, it was also frustrating for me as I often spent as much time searching for what I needed, often wasting what little time I had for painting.  

I've slowly come to realize that even on a day when nothing goes as planned with a painting, if the results are horrible and in no way reflect what I am trying to capture - it's fine.  I still have learned something.  

It took me years to establish a system that works for me with the time I have that still allows me to maintain a sense of spontaneity and excitement when I'm painting.

I also have a "go bag" (three actually) for Watercolor, Acrylic, and Charcoal in addition to my main paintbox which I will switch out between all of the above and oil paintings.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C