Eastport Shades of the Past


Shades of the Past
Gouache on card stock

I've been experimenting with small painted sketches, working out different ideas for subjects including utilizing differently cropped perspectives which keeps the subject focused yet implies a lot of distance outside of the view.

This scene was taken from an on location watercolor I completed a few summers ago in Eastport, ME.  I was struck by the play of shadows on the sunlight face of an abandoned factory just off main street.

As a student of history, I could just imagine the harbor filled with three and four masted schooners in its heyday and I decided to alter the pattern of the shadows on the factory to represent that history.


#robertkahlerlandscapepainting #workingmethods #sketchingwithpaint #eastport #maine
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C