Sunset Runaround Pond

Sunset Runaround Pond
Watercolor Study

I was reviewing sketches from an old sketchbook today and settled on pencil sketch I'd completed on location years ago along with a few color notes scrawled in the margins of the sketch.

This watercolor study was inspired by my memories of a brilliant sunset and reflections on Runaround Pond in Durham, Maine.  I had just pulled in and explored briefly before being struck by the contrast of deep orange of the sunset juxtaposed with the dark greens of blues of the pine and spruce and then lightened again by the reflections in the foreground.  These effects are so very beautiful to witness and so fleeting.

For some reason, I had the place to myself that day and enjoyed the stillness and quiet as night fell.  This overall effect likely lasted less than 15 minutes but has never left my mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C