Mt. Washington and Ammonoosuc River



Had a wonderful three day stay at the Mt Washington House in Bretton Woods New Hampshire.  This pen and ink sketch was done from the conservatory.  I'd woken up early and gone downstairs and pretty much had the room to myself.  Eventually a few other people came into the room and then we had a surprise guest - a red squirrel.  

The patterns of snow and the beginnings of spring were striking.  Natural abstracts actually.  I went for a walk along the Amonoosuc River.  When the trail moved away the river, I went off trail, for about 20 feet.  I went from less than an inch of snow - up to my waist.  I retreated back to the safety of the trail and choose the view below.

I did a rough pencil sketch with a focus on composition and observational notes.  I did the on location watercolor sketch below for color notes and will work on subjects using these as reference. 





My favorite studio!  The great outdoors.


The painting above was the view looking upriver from this spot.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C