Crashing Surf


I am continuing to experiment with seascapes.  Despite spending many years along the coast, I still have a great deal of study to do to capture the power and movement and color of the sea.  This is a small watercolor with some use of chinese white as well as scaping with a razor blade to achieve some of the whites

This painting is not of an actual location, but is patterned after the rocks along the coast near Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth Maine and Prouts Neck in Scarborogh, Maine.  

I've had the privilige of seeing a number of Winslow Homer's original paintings at the Portland Museum of Art as well as in Boston.  His seascapes are incredibly powerful - and make you feel as though you are really there on the cliffs by the sea.

Winslow Homer's studio is now owned by the Portland Museum of Art and tours are conducted on a regular basis.  The cliff walk around Prouts Neck is also open to the public.  Like many places in Maine, the trick is to find a place to park.  The cliff walk can be accessed from Scarborogh Beach which is an amazing beach by its own right.

Other artists whose work I admire in regard to sea scapes are John Stobart, Carl Evers, and Frederick Waugh to name a few.

As for the handling of water and light, I continue to be drawn to the works of Frank W. Benson, Aiden Lassell Ripley, and Ogden Pleissner.

I don't study other artists work too closely as I do not want to imitate anyone else.  However, there are times if I can not work out a solution to a problem that I will refer to other artists work if it's a situation where I can not physically go  to a location to work something out (for instance, if I'm working on a fall scene in the winter or vice versa).

Copying artists work in museums is also a time honored way of learning from previous masters.  You'll need to check with museums to see their policies and restrictions if you are interested in trying this.  I've never done it, but who knows, perhaps some day I will.  In a nutshell, any painting you do must be of a different dimension than the original so that there could be no danger any copy being confused for the original.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C