Scarborough Barn by the Sea

This was the first pass (in charcoal) of a subject that began nearly two decade's ago.   It is not an exact representation of the subject but a composition of design elements that do exist, just not exactly in this configuration.



The process of choosing a subject, for me at least, is almost unconscious.  Sometimes it's an instant connection with a scene - often related to lighting, color or other effects of nature.   More often, its a place that I have a connection with through family, friends, or that I have visited or explored on my own.

This is a subject that began first as on location watercolor sketch.  Once the sketch was done, I set it aside as I often do.  I am energized by painting on location and this also gives me a backlog of subjects to explore further when getting out on location is not possible.  It is also just good practice of both oberservational skills as well as painting skills.

Yesterday, while Julie was shopping, I did a couple of studies (rough rough rough) studies of clouds. with watercolors.  Never intending for a full painting to appear, but as practice and perhaps elements that I'll use in later paintings.  It took me quite awhile to mature as a painter - I always wanted attempts to work out "right" and to produce finished works every time out.

I was watching a documentary on one of my favorite bands, The Eagles, and there was a segment that just made me laugh out loud and helped me to relax some too.  Glenn Fry was talking about being nervous about writing his own songs.  He was talking with some of his friends (Jackson Browne I believe) and he shared his secret fear when he was encouraged to write his own songs...

"What if they suck?"

"They will.  They will for awhile.  Just keep at it and one day they won't suck so much."

Thank God for perseverance.  So much beautiful music came to us through his efforts!  I was just reading about someone asking Walt Disney the "secret" to his success.  His answer was along the same lines.  "There is no secret.  You have to dog it.  Keep working at it day and night till its done and done right."

I've always enjoyed watching people I've worked with who have the passion to excel and who have put in the work to do so.  This group includes artists, muscians, teachers, heavy equipment operators, athletes, and more.   When someone is able to make something look easy - you can bet that it isn't and that a lot of practice and experience has gone into their work.

"The will to win is worthless without the will to prepare."   Thane Yost

Whatever your passion is - dive on in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C