Above the Mill Pond


Above the Mill Pond
Mixed Media - Acrylic and Oil
12" x 16"


This painting began on a Sunday afternoon drive.  I did some on location Pen and Ink sketches and then explored the area as much as time allowed.  The small watercolor sketch below was done in studio and just a quick experiment to see how I might capture different aspects of the area in one painting.


Below is the first pass at the subject with Acrylic paint.  I enjoyed the exercise of altering the perspective of the subject.  I also wanted to simply suggest the background bank of the mill pond rather than painting it directly.  Although this "draft" of the subject did capture some of what I was trying to achieve, it wasn't complete in my mind.  I set the painting aside and moved onto other subjects - which is something I do either consciously while I let things simmer in the background of my mind.  The more I paint and observe, the more I have to draw on for the next subject.


















 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C