Lisbon Farm in Summer #2


Acrylic on Canvas Board 18" x 24"

This is my latest painting.  I am going to set it aside for now - I'm probably done with it, but I want to get some distance from it before making a final decision.  

I work in watercolor, oil, and acrylic in addition to charcoal.  In most cases, I don't decide on what medium to paint with prior to discovering a subject.  In this case, I decided to paint an acrylic before choosing a subject.   I hadn't painted an acrylic or a larger subject in quite awhile.  I decided to pursue another interpretation of my last on location painting.

I also wanted to experiment again with a toned canvas again.  The few times I've done this in the past, it definitely helped create a stronger sense of color harmony and tied the pictures together. 

In the past I've tried ochre's or sienna's.  In this case I decided to utilize ultramarine blue as a base tone.  As I was covering the canvas, I added more intensity to the ultramarine toward the bottom of the canvas to try to add a sense of weight and substance to the foreground and a sense of space and atmosphere to the sky.


Acrylics dry so quickly that I was able to start working on the subject without delay.  Below is a photo of the first few passes at the background of the painting.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C