Inspiration in the studio - Bill Maudlin

Bill Maudlin 1921-2003


Long before I ever had an interest in drawing and painting, other than the normal interest that most children seem to have, my grandmother gave me a present of "The Brass Ring" by Bill Maudlin (1921-2003).  It was in 1972 - I was seven years old.  Far too young to read and understand the book - but I loved the cartoons and "read" the book again and again over the years.  I have no idea what possessed my Nana to get this book for me - but I'm so glad that she did!

Image result for bill mauldin and the brass ringImage result for bill mauldin and the brass ring

Although I also had no sense of the horrors of war nor any of the amazement that someone involved in combat could express the feelings and emotions of the "average" "Willie and Joe ( combat infantry)" through cartoons.  However,  I did have an appreciation for his sense of humor even then.    These are a couple of my favorite.  I've had a number of cars like the jeep on the right below.

Image result for bill mauldin and the brass ringImage result for bill mauldin and the brass ring

I've not read any other of Bill Mauldin's books, but will certainly do so, nor have I studied his cartoons from an artistic sense - at least not consciously.  Non the less, he's been an inspiration to me.  The Brass Ring is one of the most worn books in my collection - and I rarely read a book more than once.  This book covers Bill Maudlin's early years in Arizona through the end of WW II.

I highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in World War Two and in the arts.

One of his most famous cartoons was of Lincoln mourning the assassination of John F. Kennedy

Image result for Bill mauldin lincoln weeping





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C