Saturday, March 18, 2017

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C





This large charcoal (18" by 24") was done to expand upon the small pen and ink sketch done from on location observations.  I added a few elements such as the additonal open water in the foreground.  The next step was the color compositional study below.


                                  

This compositional study (9"x 12") was a double experiment for me - one in terms of subject matter.  Had never attempted an ice dominated subject before - am quite excited about the possibilities.  It's a short season but one that, for me, demands more study.

This was also an experiment in terms of ground for the painting.  I used a watercolor block for this.  I was pleasantly surprised at how even a lighter weight paper (in this case 140 lb paper) didn't buckle.  I'll definately continue to utilize watercolor blocks, particularly for on location paintings.

I decided to leave the foreground as is for now - time will tell.  In some ways I like it better, but I think it creates a weaker composition...  Need to give it time.

No comments:

Post a Comment