Inspiration - better late than never.

I've had so many wonderful encounters on my artistic journey.  One of my first inspirations was my wife's grandfather - Ed LaSalle (nee Lassell).  I remember my first trip to Ed's house when I was dating Julie.  We walked into the living room and I was immediately struck by the paintings which were hung with care throughout the living room and music room.

The first painting I saw was a large fall scene of Tumbledown Mountain.  I can't find a photograph of that painting at the moment.

The painting below was hanging behind the living room couch.  This lighting isn't the best, but it was a large western (3' x 5')  Unfinished, but still very beautiful.  Ed was an illustrator in the 1930's - 1940's and painted landscapes on location well into his 80's.  More on that for another time.


I asked Julie about the paintings.  Never expecting to hear it so casually mentioned that her grandfather,and her grandmother were responsible for the art which filled the house.  The painting below was on the wall near the scene of Tumbledown.  This painting was by Ed's brother, Charles LaSalle (Lassell) - one of the country's leading illustrators in the 20's through the 50's.  

                                                 

The family of artists also included Ed's cousin, Aiden Lassell Ripley, and Ed's son Aiden LaSalle.
I decided to do a research project on the family of artists as a Christmas Present for Julie and the people I met on that journey and the art they shared with me enriched my life more than I could ever imagine.  Subjects for other posts later.

Below is an example of a painting by Aiden Lassell Ripley.  Aiden was a national award winning artist who became the president of the Guild of  Boston Artists from 1959-1969.



Years after Ed passed away, I was able to purchase one of his paintings as a Christmas present for my wife.  Having that painting hanging at the foot of our bed truly inspired me to try painting.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C