Let it Go! Watercolor and Tracing Paper Experiments

These paintings are quick and simple experiments utilizing watercolor on tracing paper.  I occasionally paint on tracing paper as a quick way to get down some ideas for paintings.  This has always been studio work for me.  

To say that tracing paper is not meant for watercolor is an understatement.  However, I also find that not considering a painting for display is incredibly freeing.  The subject matter was inspired by Aiden Lassell Ripley.



The second painting is simply a view of the reverse side of the paper.  It shows the mirror image of the composition.  This can be done electronically through most photo editing as well, but I like to work with brush on paper.



The bottom painting view was a simply accident.  I placed the tracing paper on my easal on top of a previously completed landscape.  This shows how I might combine the compositions into new paintings.  It shows what some different color combinations would look like.  Once again, these effects could be achieved electronically but I enjoy the practice with the brush.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C