Pembroke Stone Bridge



Here is one of two large charcoals I've begun since my return from a trip Down East.  This is a stone bridge in my mother's hometown of Pembroke Maine.    The river is the Pennamaquan river which drains Pennamaquan Lake into Cobscook Bay.  

As a child I spent many hours playing by the river.  When the tide was outgoing the river flowed rapidly through the stone arch ways.   I used to launch "Boats" that I found throughout the woods.  The river flowed so rapidly in fact, that the waves created by the flow of the river reminded me of the wake of my uncles boat on Sebago Lake.   When the tide was incoming, there were many small whirlpools formed as the saltwater and the freshwater collided forming intricate designs of flotsom and foam on the surface of the river.  On windy days, the river foam would be blown rapidly upriver, sometimes on the surface, at other times taking flight.

I never fished, not sure why,  but the fishing was good as evidenced by the bald eagles that regularly snatched fish from the river.   Most likely river herring.  The Eagles nest was high in a spruce overlooking the river in the woods behind my grandparents.  Eagles weren't very numerous in those days (the early 70's) but I had their company daily whenever I was in Pembroke.

The House indicated at the right side of the bridge, is actually the Masonic Hall which would not be visible (and to the right of the bridge).  The Masonic Hall was at the entrance to Masonic Lane, and my grandparents house was at the end of the lane.  Below is a sketch I did years ago entitled Pembroke Memories.

Image may contain: outdoor

According to the Maine DOT Historic Bridge Survey, Phase II Final Report & Historic Context. 2004
"The Arch Bridge in Pembroke (#2021) is among the most complete, extant stone arch bridges in Maine. It was built in 1894 by the town."  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C