10 Annual Joy of Art Opening Reception

Julie and I aattended a woderful opening reception at the Crooker Gallery, Thopsham Public Library in Topsham Maine this afternoon.  It's always enjoyable to meet other artists and supporters of the arts and to see the many different expressions from different artists.  This Gallery and event is where I took my first steps to show my work outside the family (four years ago) and the staff was as warm, encouraging, and as welcoming as ever.

I entered two pieces in this juried exhibition.  A watercolor (Moonlight, Ice Out, Androscoggin) and an acrylic (Midcoast Marsh).

My watercolor, "Moonlight, Ice Out, Androscoggin" won first prize in the watercolor division.





I was speaking with another artist about her landscape painting, which I particularly admired, when a couple stopped by to listen to the conversation.  We spoke of the joys and challenges of painting on location and how it informs our work.  

The couple asked me what paintings I had entered in the show.   They then asked me to talk to them about my Midcoast Marsh painting.  I was able to describe to them the location which was the inspiration for the painting and about  my process for choosing and executing a subject.


"Would you consider parting with it?" and with that the painting was sold!  I'll write more about that soon.  It was so rewarding to hear the couple share their memories that my painting had stirred up of growing up in and around marshes and that Midcoast Marsh would have a home in thier cottage.

Thanks again to the Friends of the Topsham Public Library for this wonderful opportunity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C