Where did that idea come from?

Question:  Where to shop for good ideas?

Answer:  Anywhere.

In this post, I'm not speaking about copying ideas for paintings or compositions - but rather about developing your own working methods and organization so that you can spend most of your time actually painting.

I enjoy hearing about other peoples working methods.  You'll develop your own working methods through time and trial and error.  Take what works from others and make it your own.  In my experience this is as true for art as it is in all walks of life.  I don't have just one working method - for those of you who know me that comes as no surprise. However, I do spend more time now planning a painting than I used to - but its taken me 15 years to get to that point.  Time wasted looking for supplies or reference sketches does get old after awhile.

Whenever possible I try to paint the subject on location. I've found that when I refer back to on location works there is so much more in my memory that I was consciously aware of at the time.
When I cannot paint on location, I try to make some quick studies or sketches on location or at least to spend some time getting the feel of a location.

The three sketches below were completed on a camping trip to Houghton Maine years ago.  Most of my on location paintings are done in watercolor - due to ease of transport.


Watercolor sketch 12"x16"
This watercolor was done on the first day of the trip.  I found a clearing halfway up a wooded hill overlooking the camp site.


Oil  12" X16"
This was one of the first times I attempted oils on location.  This view was looking up the tote road from our campsite at ground level.

Watercolor  Sketch 12"X16"
This was a very quickly executed watercolor on the last day of the trip.  I'd intended to paint the campsite as well - but swarms of black flies had other ideas!!

My paintbox holds two twelve by sixteen canvas boards and I'm able to put a small watercolor pad behind it.  I tape the watercolor paper to the back of my easel and my brushes, paints, watercolor paintbox fit inside easily.  I keep water, papertowels, and other supplies in a small backpack and have a portable chair although I will often find a tree or other surface to sit on and some other times I'll paint standing up.  This set up literally takes no time at all to grab and go.

The trick and ,for me, the challenge was how to organize my paintings and sketches in my studio.  More about that later.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lone Pine - Cape Cod

Study Ice Breaking - Androscoggin River parts B and C